Tuesday, March 18, 2008

you might be a redneck quilter.......

Hiyall!

My friends have asked me, why do you call yourself a Redneck Quilter?

First, I'm from the South. I'm told I have an accent, I don't have an accent! Its y'all who live north of the Mason/Dixon line that have the accent, uh huh, uh huh!

Second, Being from the working class and having a tight budget, I have had to improvise certain Quilting tools. The term I believe is called 'McGivering it'. Remember the TV show called McGiver? A guy who could take a spatula, spaghetti pot, a rubber hose and bottle of beer and make a small tank out of it? I have had to do the same for a couple of things. In fact I write articles for a online Quilting Newsletter called The Nine Patch News, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ninepatchnews/
Since I work at the big orange box, I have incorporated both worlds. I write on how you can make your own Quilt related tools and furniture on a shoestring budget by making your own with items from a Home Improvement Store. I also do articles on Quilt related crafts. My next article will be on pin cushions, the history, styles over the years, links on tutorials on how to make your own unique one.

I love Jeff Foxworthy, his sense of humor is a hoot! I have even come up with my own RedNeck jokes but they are about RedNeck Quilters!
  • if you use mawmaw’s old snuff cans to store buttons, needles, threads and assorted notions.....you might be a redneck quilter....
  • if you enjoy cutting up your old man’s old fannel shirts into little squares for a new quilt........while he is still wearing them......you might be a redneck quilter.....
  • if your idea of a Quilters Retreat is tying the kids to the front porch, giving your old man a ½ doz tall boys so he will get drunk and pass out on the couch just so they can leave you alone for a few hours of quiltin’ time........you might be a redneck quilter.......

I have alot more folks! From time to time I will pop one in on a posting.

Keep On Stitch'n On!

(mauh) Liz

2 comments:

Debbi said...

I went to a redneck quilt retreat last summer. Had lots of fun, but don't think I'm a redneck...don't know JF and probably just "don't get it" But, I'll be back to your site from time to time and try and catch on. Just a city girl here. Love the idea of your finding solutions to expensive quilting supplies...will have to check on that too. I'm a do-it-yourselfer but I tend to have to have the right tool for the job...or so I think I have to...will watch and learn...I am trainable!

Anonymous said...

Love your blog, it is just as refreshing as you are---------see ya in chat.
K from MO