Thursday, January 28, 2010

Got Pin Cushions?


Hi yall!
As I promised, here is the tutorial for the pin cushion that I gave my students in the last class that I taught. these little pretties were very well recieved!

you will need the following supplies:


~one wooden candle holder cup (bought at any craft supply store)
~3 flat floral marbles (to weight down the cup)
~couple of scraps of felt, at least 3 in ~4 to 4 1/2 in scrap of your favorite material
~chunk of polyeaster fluff
~ 3 1/5 to 4 in round template of your chosing
~hot glue gun ot thick tacky glue
~high gloss paint (opt)


~ paint your candle cup the color of your choice, I painted mine a neutral cement color. apply 2 coats, let dry completely between each coat. if you want a real high gloss, apply more coats.
~once the cup has dried, place the flat marbles in the cup. I used the flat marbles cause I didnt want the pin cushion to be top heavy.



~take your felt scraps and free hand cut daisey like flowers. cut at least 2 flowers.
~ hot glue the flowers, one on top of the other.



~using the template, draw a circle on the material and cut out. using a running stitch, make a yo-yo and stuff with the fluff firmly. draw the thread tight and tie off.
~hot glue the ball on top of the petals, hold in place til the glue hardens.


tadaaaaaaaaa, you have a cute little pin cushion to keep or give away. I have given pin cushions to many of my quilting buddies and students and they are always welcomed! you can make a 1/2 doz of these little charmer in about 2 hours or less! enjoy!


Keep On Stitch'n On!

(mauh) Liz

1 comment:

Joanne Lendaro said...

So Cute!! Would be great for retreat gifties....thanks for sharing!!